I’ve had several followers of this blog inquire if it’s still active and what the status is of the car, so I figured I’d take a second to update things.
I’ve been driving the car every chance I get and have put over 7,000 miles on it since putting it back on the road. None of that makes for very good blog entries so I haven’t posted any.
Other things that have occupied my time are my other two old cars, a ’66 F100 and a ’24 Model T Touring. Both are my favorite type of car…survivors wearing original factory paint. I drive the ’66 a lot and although the ’24 runs, I’m going through the mechanicals completely. I’ve had the F100 for several years and recently replaced the 240 I-6 with a hopped up 300 I-6. The Model T sat in a barn in west Texas from 1969 until 2016. It was filthy and was missing the interior and top fabric but it was mostly all there and under all the caked on dirt, there was original Ford paint (I won’t get into how I know that here, but it is an interesting bit of detective work).
The next convention for the ’54 Ford Club of America will be in September 2018 and I plan to drive the car from Houston, TX to Memphis, TN. And, before that happens, I plan to complete several upgrades and fix several little things, all of which I’ll document here. Those should start happening after the first of the year (2018).
So, until the ’54 improvement projects begin, I’ll keep driving it A LOT and enjoying how effortlessly it handls everything I throw at it. If you have any questions for me, feel free to contact me at don@1954Ford.com
Installed insulation on the floor. It’s also from Lowes, but it’s a different type than the peel-n-seal that I used on the roof.
I used 3M spray adhesive to glue it down. You spray both surfaces, let it get tacky for about 30 seconds, then apply. Then you use a metallic seam tape to seal up the seams.
This is like bubble wrap encased in a metallic wrapper. I think it’s “proper” use is on water heaters. It’s very good at sound and heat insulation….probably better than the stuff I used on the roof, but this won’t stay stuck to the roof.
Finished the insulation in the roof of my tudor.
I painted first with some Rustoleum Almond Gloss that I already had, then I used Peel-n-Seal from Lowes (I swear the stuff is just like Dynamat) and taped the seams with the sealant tape.
My son and I took it for a drive and the change was very noticeable.
Nasty job today that I’ve been avoiding.
I scraped the “tar-paper-like” stuff off the roof of my tudor and painted it with phosphoric acid to kill the surface rust. Next I’ll paint it with black rustoleum and finally add a layer of Peel-N-Seal.
The tar paper removal and acid portion is done….that was the terrible part. The painting and insulation will be enjoyable.
I’m sending my original 6v radio out to be converted to 12v and have an aux jack installed.
While it’s out, I’ll be sporting this radio delete plate.
It fits the spartan Mainline theme of the car.
Added an outside rear view mirror over the weekend.
Got this one from Dennis Carpenter. It’s high quality and has the Ford script on it.
The gear set I installed prior to my Fredericksburg trip started leaking out of the pinion oil seal after I got back. That should an easy fix…hopefully it’s just a matter of removing the driveshaft and replacing the seal.